I fell in love with this vegetarian meal from Bali named Gado-
gado can include green beans, soybean sprouts, spinach, potatoes, corn or cabbage. Proteins come from tofu, tempeh or boiled eggs. This meal is served with a peanut sauce (eat this sauce with moderation.)
I enjoyed this meal a couple of times before cooking it with a Balinese chef in the Shanti
The essential for a delicious Gado-
gado? The peanut sauce called Bumbu Kacang.
Sauce’s ingredients (4 people)
- 250 gr of unsalted peanuts
- 50 gr of coconut sugar (Lox Glycemic Index)
- ½ ou 1 mild red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 pieces (3 cm) of ginger
- 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
- A little bit of water (it depends on the consistency you want)
- 1 tsp of Himalayan salt
- Lime’s juice
- 400 gr of blanched spinach
- 200 gr of soybean sprouts
- 200 gr of sliced and blanched white cabbage
- 1 cucumber
- 4 boiled eggs
- 400 gr of tempeh (you choose 200 gr of tempeh and 200 gr of tofu)
- We start with the sauce. Fry your peanuts in a hot pan with one tablespoon of coconut oil. (if they already are roasted, we can pass this step.)
- Blend them with coconut sugar, mild red pepper, ginger, tamarind paste and Himalayan salt. You can add some water. Add the lime’s juice at the end and mix. Your sauce is ready!
- Slice your tempeh (and tofu, if you chose to have both).
- Cook them in a pan with some coconut oil.
- Put all the ingredient in a plate with the sauce in a bowl.